Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Fixin my blue jeans

So I have had two pair of jeans from before I was pregnant. I hate jeans. Hate them! They still do not fit perfectly but I am making due. Now these jeans that fit so well years ago had those wonderful fashionable holes in them. Yeah, lets pay more for jeans with holes in them...while it is perfectly okay to wear jeans in Academic research jobs, I did want to patch the holes closed. Seeing thigh skin is just not proper for any job...or any occasion in my view (unless you are at the beach or pool).

I ran up to Walmart and found a small package of iron on jean patches. There are a few colors to choose from but they most likely will not match perfectly. So, I think these are supposed to be patched on the outside of your jeans, but that is not what I want. I turned my jeans inside out and ironed the patches to the underside with the glue part towards the outside of the jeans. This worked well especially since that side is lighter in color., it matched very well. These holes also had the white strands of jean going across, so it was not just a huge hole.

These lasted for a few years, and I do not wash my jeans after every time I wear them. So if you like to wash after every time you wear them, then I bet you will have to replace the patches sooner. They began to come off and knew that a fix was in need. I remember seeing a pin on Pinterest where someone sewed a piece of cute yellow fabric and used some yellow thread to make stars around it. I have cute yellow fabric, but that would really make these jeans a more dressed down style. I would be limited to what tops I could wear with them. Then I found posts on putting lace under the holes. PERFECT!

Once again, I ran up to Walmart (we RARELY shop there, there was just a toy I wanted to look at). My Walmart just added a small fabric section back in (most fabric sections had been cut out of stores for awhile in our location). They had a few choices of lace but I found a prepackaged one and figured that would work.

 Sorry these are sideways. I am using a PC and windows 8, neither that I approve of...I want to toss this at the wall. I also do not have a mouse and hate the mousepads on laptops. This is the package of lace and leftover jean patches. It is a sheet and you just cut out the size you need.






 I choose to use large pieces. This is the jeans inside out. Lace first and then the sticky or gluey side of the patch. I ironed on the cotton setting dry. I no longer had the directions, so I left the iron on for 10-20 seconds and tested the edges of the patch.
 Here are the front legs of my jeans. I am happy with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment